Did you like it? Do share this post, leave a comment below, and send me a gift! (opens in a new tab/window)
Have you recently finished watching Disney Plus’s
Grid (그리드)? Confused? Worry not! In this article, I answered as many questions as I know the answers to and explained the reasons behind it.
Grid (그리드) is a soft sci-fi show. A soft science fiction concerns itself on soft or social sciences (psychology, sociology), which means, there should be no expectations on any explanation of the show’s hard sciences. This is where this article comes in, as fans of the show, we will explain those which were not touched on the story.
Before we begin we need to be on the same page on how to approach the questions and how to find the answers.
Approach from an in-universe perspective. We need to think as someone who lives in the world of the characters. We need to unlock what was in the author’s mind.
Remember these two important rules in creative writing / fiction:
Show, don’t tell. If the storytelling style is to tell then we are reading a scientific paper or watching a documentary. We need to watch to find the answers.
If a scene will not move the story forward, delete it. An experienced writer makes sure every scene is important to the story. This means that we can not assume that some scenes were insignificant. All scenes are important and a potential clue.
Everything shown is canon. We can not dismiss something shown as false. If an information was included in the show then it is official.
The story is about Kwon/Kim Sae Ha. The vantage point of the story is from the perspective of Sae Ha. All time is relative to him. The plot is relative to him.
There is only one timeline/universe. Forget about the many-worlds interpretation (MWI), or more commonly known as multiple timelines and parallel universes. There is only one timeline and one universe in the
Static Theory of Spacetime.
Time is like space, and there is no such thing as the passage of time1, or as explained in
time does not flow. All possibilities in all times simultaneously exist.
Growing Block Universe Theory. All possibilities in the past and the present simultaneously exist, and the future is yet to be. Both the past and the present are simply now. What we perceive as the past is as much as what we call the present. There is only now and the future—which is yet to be.
I originally chose the Block Universe Theory because the Ghost exists and she is from the future, it did not make sense from a Growing Block Universe Theory standpoint—where the future is yet to be. However, after @jenss , from MyDramaList, pointed out that Sae Ha said he can not go to a time beyond his origin point, it suddenly all fitted together. Add Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity, and voila, perfect fit—the future that is yet to be is relative to the origin time of the time traveler.
Spacetime is relative. As explained by Albert Einstein in his Special Theory of Relativity, time (or more accurately, spacetime) is relative to the observer or the person.
Time travelers can not travel beyond their origin and relative times. This is the result of rule #1. This is a very important rule which we will encounter later.
- Travel beyond one’s origin time is not possible. This is because the world of
Grid (그리드)is based on the Growing Block Universe Theory. The future is yet to come into existence.
- Travel beyond one’s relative time is not possible. This is because of both the Growing Block Universe Theory and Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity. It does not matter if the traveler is in the past (relative to their origin time), from their relative time (as an observer) the future is yet to come into existence.
- Travel beyond one’s origin time is not possible. This is because the world of
Person replacement. If time travelers enter a time period where there is a native or earlier version of themselves, they replace it.
The best example was in episode 7 when the Captured Ghost saved Sae Ha and Sae Byeok from the door explosion (2021-10-10). She returned them back to 2021-10-08 and both Sae Ha and Sae Byeok replaced their versions on that day.
2021-10-08 First Version (episode 4)
- Sae Ha was on the corridor of the Secretariat talking to Sae Byeok on the phone.
- Sae Byeok visited the construction site where Kim Ma Nok last worked and was talking to Sae Ha on the phone.
2021-10-08 Second Version (episode 7)
- Sae Ha was on the ground with a bloodied face and clothes.
- Sae Byeok was on the ground with her gun.
Sae Ha’s return was also captured in CCTV which Director Choi reviewed. In one frame, Sae Ha was standing talking on his phone. In the next frame, Sae Ha was on the floor.
Age matters. When time travelers enter a time period where there is a younger or older version of themselves, they do not replace it.
A good example is in episode 8 when Sae Ha traveled to the year 2000 and talked to his 9-year old self. No doubt it applies to teenage and senior versions. There are no clues available to determine the age gap.
Proximity applies. When time travelers enter a time period in a location far from their native or earlier version, they will not replace it.
An example of this was when the Founder/Ghost appeared in the Institute of Radio Research from 12:02:00–12:05:59 UTC (21:02:00–21:05:59 KST). Yet at that same time, she was captured on CCTV in the USA, Australia, and Spain. See At a glance: The Ghost for a list of times.
Time period replacement. When time travelers enter a time period, it is instantly replaced by the version of their time incursion. The earlier version no longer exist.
There is no better example than what Sae Ha noticed himself in 1997-05-18.
1997-05-18 First Version
- This is original version where the Grid never existed and time travel was not yet developed.
1997-05-18 Second Version
- This is the first time a time traveler entered this time period and installed the Grid. It was not the Ghost who did it since she does not exist yet at this point.
- Doctor Kwon Su Keun
- was killed for his ID; or
- he was accidentally killed because he tried to stop the time traveler.
- Lee Jang Hyeok (janitor)
- saw Doctor Kwon’s body, entered Lab 1 to call 119, saw the first time traveler and confronted him/her, which led to his death; or
- entered Lab 1 because of the noise, saw Doctor Kwon’s dead body, and the time traveler had to kill him.
- These chain of events led to the birth of the Ghost.
1997-05-18 Third Version (episode 3 IRR CCTV)
- This is the version where the Ghost was the one who installed the Grid.
- This is also the version shown in the first CCTV footage of this day.
- Doctor Kwon was killed for his ID (scar at the back of his neck).
- Lee Jang Hyeok was killed by the Ghost before he left the Institute of Radio Research (IRR).
1997-05-18 Fourth Version
- This is the first time Sae Ha traveled to 1997.
- Doctor Kwon Su Keun was killed for his ID (hit at the back of his neck with the device).
- Lee Jang Hyeok saw his body, entered Lab 1 to call 119, saw the Ghost, and confronted her, which led to his death.
- When the Ghost picked up her time device, she felt the existence of another time traveler. Before she was able to act, Sae Ha reset time.
1997-05-18 Fifth Version
- This is Sae Ha’s first attempt to change the events of 1997.
- Sae Ha stole Doctor Kwon’s ID.
- The Ghost appeared but Doctor Kwon was not where she expected him to be.
- The door of Lab 1 opened. The Ghost was taken aback.
- Sae Ha was standing and handed her Doctor Kwon’s ID.
- The Ghost does not know Sae Ha yet.
- The Ghost stopped installing the Grid because of Sae Ha’s accusations and dramatic speech.
- The Ghost started feeling very weak.
- The moment Lee Jang Hyeok (janitor; and stepfather of Kim Ma Nok) stepped outside the IRR building, the Ghost was erased from existence.
- It is time critical to finish the Grid within a time frame (this is the reason why the Ghost was in various labs around the world). Since this failed, the Grid program failed entirely.
- We will call this the “Fifth Version Reality” or “1997 No Grid Reality”
1997-05-18 Sixth Version
- After witnessing the world without the Grid, Sae Ha returned to 1997-05-18.
- He stole the coat lab of Doctor Kwon (with the ID).
- Doctor Kwon still went to Lab 1.
- Sae Ha finished the Grid within the required time frame.
- Doctor Kwon saw him and fought him.
- Sae Ha accidentally killed his own father.
- Lee Jang Hyeok saw them and ran.
1997-05-18 Seventh Version
- After chasing the Ghost throughout 2021 to confront her about the murders and how to change the events, Sae Ha returned to 1997-05-18 again.
- Sae Ha observed as the events unfold.
- Sae Ha noticed the events unfolded differently (CCTV timestamp: 21:02:48).
- The Ghost pulled the body of Doctor Kwon inside Lab 1.
- Lee Jang Hyeok left his room, together with Kim Ma Nok, far earlier than he should have.
- Sae Ha entered Lab 1 and saw the Ghost getting weaker.
- Sae Ha made the connection and intervened by teleporting in front of Jang Hyeok and Ma Nok (CCTV timestamp: 21:05:37)
- Having delayed Lee Jang Hyeok, the Ghost was able to finish the Grid and teleport to the lobby but Jang Hyeok hit her with a fire extinguisher. (CCTV timestamp: 21:05:44)
- The inaction of Sae Ha made the Ghost grow weaker again. The possibility for Jang Hyeok and Ma Nok to leave the building started to increase.
- Sae Ha teleported (CCTV timestamp: 21:05:53) and appeared in front of Jang Hyeok (CCTV timestamp: 21:05:54)
- Sae Ha was about to kill him but hesitated.
- Since Jang Hyeok and Ma Nok leaving is no longer a probability, the Ghost recovered and teleported (CCTV timestamp: 21:05:58) and appeared (CCTV timestamp: 21:05:59) behind Jang Hyeok and killed him herself.
- Sae Ha returned to Lab 1.
- Sae Ha was tempted to try saving his father.
- The Security Guard, Han Wi Han, saw Sae Ha in front of the window in Lab 1.
- Han Wi Han ran to Lab 1, upon entering, he was assaulted by the Ghost.
- Sae Ha stopped her from killing him.
- This is the first time the 1997 Ghost knew who Sae Ha is. Later, they had a conversion in Lab 1 where she said,
We’ve repeated this dozens of times to find another way.
- This Seventh Version of 1997-05-18 is the Reality from this point onwards (latter part of episode 8 to episode 10).
From Sae Ha’s observation, it was established that whenever a time traveler enter a time period they do not belong into, their incursion version replaces the earlier version. The earlier version is gone forever.
In a way, it is similar to the idea in other time travel fiction: the moment time travel is invented and used, it will erase the original reality where the technology was not yet developed. Once opened, it can never be closed.
Time travel device.
The time travel device can only be controlled by a person with a chip implanted in their arm. The chip is the bridge between a person’s brain and the device.
If the device is used as a blunt weapon, it will electrocute a person from inside out. A very strong output will result in combustion of the target.
The device can also be used to create a localised timeshield around the user and another person. This allows the user to revert time for a specific person. However, it appears to be limited and consumes a lot of energy. (episode 10)
Fixed point in time. A fixed point in time is a trope wherein an event, or a moment, will always happen. A fixed point can be changed but with dire consequences beyond anyone can ever calculate.
Examples are the deaths of Doctor Kwon Suk Eun (father of Sae Ha), Lee Jang Hyeok (janitor; stepfather of Kim Ma Nok), and Kwon/Kim Sae Ha.
Since there is only one timeline and one universe in the
Grid (그리드), we will not use the terms [alternate] timelines and parallel worlds, instead, we will use: realities.
Pre-travel Reality. This is the reality before Sae Ha became a time traveler. (episodes 1 to 6)
1997 No Grid Reality / Fifth Version Reality. This is the reality based on the 1997-05-18 Fifth Version (see Temporal Mechanics #4: Time period replacement ) where Sae Ha distracted the Ghost which prevented her from finishing the Grid, and to be erased from existence. (episode 7)
MIW (mother-is-well) Reality. Based on the Seventh Version of 1997-05-18 (see Temporal Mechanics #4: Time period replacement ) and the simple change Sae Ha did in the year 2000 which saved her mother from her depression. (episode 8)
Door Explosion Reality. This reality is based on MIW (mother-is-well) Reality but only refers to the time period from 2021-10-08 to 2021-10-10. In this Reality, Director Choi was shot by a friendly fire and Song Eo Jin died because of the door explosion set by the Major of the Special Investigation Bureau. (latter part of episode 8)
Post-Captured Ghost Reality. This reality is the replacement version of the time beginning on 2021-10-08; after the Captured Ghost saved Sae Ha and Jung Sae Byeok from the door explosion. (episodes 9 and 10)
In this reality, there are two versions of 2021-10-09.
2021-10-09 First Version. (episode 10)
- The Ghost blocked the side mirror view of Sae Byeok while Ma Nok escaped.
- Sae Ha was stabbed by Ma Nok.
2021-10-09 Second Version. (episode 10)
- Sae Byeok saw Ma Nok escaping through her side mirror and chased him.
- The Ghost and the Foe Blue Time Traveler fought.
- Sae Ha was hit by Ma Nok, with a blunt instrument, when he protected Sae Byeok.
- Sae Byeok shot Ma Nok in defense.
Realities and versions are technically the same. Reality is used to refer to changes affecting multiple times; while version only to refer to a single day.
Kwon/Kim Sae Ha
At a glance: Sae Ha
- 1997: Sae Ha was 6 years old
- 2000: Sae Ha was 9 years old
- 2005-06 when the solar wind hit Earth directly
- Sae Ha was 14.
- Sae Ha’s mother was working at a factory (episode 1)
- 2021: Sae Ha was 30 in 2021.
FAQ: Sae Ha
Did Sae Ha die?
100% did not. Here are the reasons why:
In episode 10 Sae Ha said,
I don’t know why but I couldn’t move past the point in time where I came from.
The existence of Storehouse Sae Ha in 2022.
If it is not possible to visit the future beyond a time traveler’s origin time, the Storehouse Sae Ha in 2022 should not exist if he died on 2021-10-09.
The Ghost, herself, is another clue.
- When the Ghost returned to the crime scene she intentionally stepped on a pool of blood as if it was nothing.
- While she herself admitted that she does not care what happens to them, because they are her distant past, her emotions throughout the series tells otherwise.
- They did try to find another way. If she truly does not care, she would not even bother, as she herself said,
I can always turn back time.
- When the Friendly Blue Time Traveler was about to do something to the dying Sae Ha, the Ghost tried to stop him.
The Ghost does care, and she is as human as any of us. She stepped on the pool of blood because she knew it was fake! She visited the crime scene as a closure and as proof to herself that there is always another way—they just have to find it.
Originally, my interpretation was Sae Ha traveled with the Ghost before he returned the device and then died on 2021-10-09.
Why did the Ghost not know there is a way if she can travel to the future?
To borrow her own words, she tried
dozens of times, to change fixed points but found no other way. She gave up. As far as she is aware, Sae Ha will die sometime in 2021-10 by the hands of Ma Nok.
It did not occur to her that events that should happen will still happen as long as Sae Ha was recorded to have died. The Friendly Blue Time Traveler figured this out and put things into action to create a new reality.
How did the Friendly Blue Time Traveler saved Sae Ha?
Here is how it happened:
The Friendly Blue Time Traveler bumped Ma Nok to remove the tracker. He needs him to hide.
He then observed if his plan to position Sae Ha and Ma Nok in an area of his choosing worked. It did. Sae Ha was stabbed by Ma Nok.
When the Ghost was standing on an open field, sad and surrendered, the Friendly Blue Time Traveler froze time and reversed it back.
The Ghost was caught unawares because nothing like it ever happened in her previous attempts to change the fixed point.
Because the Ghost was not in position to block Sae Byeok’s side mirror view, she saw Ma Nok escaping and chased him.
Similar to the 2021-10-09 First Version, Sae Ha stopped at the location where Ma Nok was hiding, only this time with Sae Byeok.
Ma Nok was instead enraged against Sae Byeok and decided to kill her. The Ghost intervened.
- The Ghost struggled to stop Ma Nok.
Time is juggling between two conflicting possibilities
- the Ghost is erased
- the Ghost still is
This was similar to the incident in 1997-05-18 Seventh Version. Because there was another time traveler (Sae Ha), anything can happen.
This time the traveler who was to be erased was the one who intervened.
She was can not decide how much she should intervene.
- The Ghost struggled to stop Ma Nok.
When the Ghost decided to stop Ma Nok, the Foe Blue Time Traveler attacked her. He looked up. He probably saw the Grid flickers.
- Whenever something happens that may put the existence of the Grid in jeopardy, the Grid flickrs. This is why they look up, even the Ghost did it several times.
- This was also in episode 2. When Ma Nok stole the salary of a worker, the Ghost reversed time. But he still stole the money repeatedly, the Ghost teleported the envelope back to the owner’s pocket instead. This was not a useless, random scene, it means something.
- Later in the episode, Eo Jin said,
I saw the Grid breaking again on our way back.
- Stealing the salary of that man changed the path of Ma Nok. The Grid did not disappear instantly because the Ghost was watching, time is juggling between two possibilities.
- Later in the episode, Eo Jin said,
The Ghost was enraged, she chased the Foe Blue Time Traveler. The Foe Blue Time Traveler tried to lose her. When the Ghost got better with her strategy, the Foe Blue Time Traveler had no choice but to confront her.
The Foe Blue Time Traveler was on the defense. He even dropped his device to make her think twice.
The Ghost returned to the scene. Standing on her left is the Friendly Blue Time Traveler. They both watched as Sae Ha slowly dies. She looked up and watched the Grid gets restored.
The Friendly Blue Time Traveler and the Ghost teleported to Sae Ha.
The Ghost tried to stopped the Friendly Blue Time Traveler, and he said in English,
It’s not me. Can’t you see it?while looking down at his device.
- He was telling her that his device is of a different model than the one who attacked her.
The Friendly Blue Time Traveler created a localised timeshield around him and Sae Ha. At first he almost failed (clue: Sae Ha’s blood flowed again) because Jung Sae Byeok was holding Sae Ha and his timeshield does not include her.
The Ghost noticed this so she created a timeshield with Jung Sae Byeok in it. Once Sae Byeok moved, the Ghost pulled her to herself—maybe to align her at the same state as her (notice that they do not touch the frozen person outside the timeshield but she did inside).
The Friendly Blue Time Traveler was then able to completely place the timeshield around Sae Ha. Based on what the Ghost did with Sae Byeok, the Friendly Blue Time Traveler probably switched Sae Ha’s body with a faux one (or someone else did since he is maintaining his timeshield).
Afterwards both time travelers left. Possibly to save Sae Ha because he was about to breath his last.
What is the relation of Sae Ha’s death to the Ghost and the Grid?
His death, by the hands of Kim Ma Nok, is the catalyst for these important events:
Former husband and wife, Jung Sae Byeok and Song Eo Jin, comforted each other and slept together. Nine months later, sometime in July 2022, Byeori was born.
Director Choi Seon Wool’s reputation increased and she got more authority. Her department, the Secretariat, received a major increase in funding and much needed personnel.
As South Korea realized there is more than one time traveler, they increased their support for the Administration Bureau and their time travel R&D. The country became even more powerful.
This question was asked by @Gizmobear on MyDramaList.
Is not the death of Sae Ha meaningless since the Grid was destroyed anyway?
It is a case of
the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Sae Ha saw what a world without the Grid is. Two-thirds of the world population died and many more suffer from various degenerative diseases caused by the solar wind radiation. He also found Jung Sae Byeok with an irreparable damage on her face and her vocal chords. This was what broke his heart the most.
Sae Ha made a choice to die because they found no other way to alter events without erasing the Grid from existence. He had no idea he would be saved by another time traveler.
Who is the Storehouse Sae Ha?
He is the Sae Ha the Friendly Blue Time Traveler saved. However, he can not reveal himself, otherwise they would risk changing recorded history.
As explained in
Kim Ma Nok / Lee Si Won
At a glance: Ma Nok / Si Won
- 1992: Ma Nok was adopted by Lee Jang Hyeok (janitor) when he was only one year old.
- Lee Jang Hyeok registered him as Lee Si Won.
- 1997: Ma Nok was 5 years old.
- 1997-05-18: His father was murdered.
- The Nature Orphanage re-registered him as Kim Ma Nok because he was not speaking and they can not find information about him at the time (1997).
- 2021: Ma Nok was 29.
FAQ: Ma Nok / Si Won
Why did the Ghost kill Kim Ma Nok’s father?
Because Kim Ma Nok would not become a loose cannon. For Ma Nok to become unstable, he needs to witness the brutal murder of his father.
They need a crazy Ma Nok who will end up killing Sae Ha in 2021-10-09.
It is a case of
the end justifies the means.
Is Kim Ma Nok the ancestor of the Ghost?
I highly doubt it.
While Kim Ma Nok does have a 13% DNA match with the Ghost, and they both have the rarest blood type which is cis-AB, it is not enough as proof that he is the Ghost’s direct ancestor. This tells us that he is a distant relative of the Ghost.
The highest possibility of their blood relation is Ma Nok is the Ghost’s paternal great grand uncle (baseline relatedness of 12.5%). 1 There is a possibility that Kim Ma Nok have a sibling from his original family.
This question was asked by @Bai Ying Hua on MyDramaList.
Then why did the Ghost protected him?
Because Kim Ma Nok should be the one to murder Sae Ha.
This is the only way for events, mentioned in
At a glance: The Ghost
1997-05-18: CCTV footages in seven laboratories around the world
The Ghost appeared in the first six labs in sequence. But when she appeared in the IRR, she overlapped her presence in the USA, Australia, and Spain. (see Temporal Mechanics #3.b: Proximity )
- DEU: 11:58:22–11:58:31 UTC (13:58:22–13:58:31 CEST)
- RUS: 11:58:32–11:58:33 UTC (15:58:32–15:58:33 MSD)
- HKG: 12:01:24–12:01:26 UTC (20:01:24–20:01:26 HKT)
- USA: 12:04:11–12:04:13 UTC (08:04:11–08:04:13 EDT)
- AUS: 12:04:59–12:05:01 UTC (22:04:59–22:05:01 AEST)
- ESP: 12:05:21–12:05:24 UTC (14:05:21–14:05:24 CEST)
- KOR (Seventh Version)
- 12:02:00–12:05:59 UTC (21:02:00–21:05:59 KST)
- reappeared in IRR Lab 1 to have a conversation with Sae Ha
2091: The Ghost was born.
She is the Founder of the Grid beginning on 1997-05-18 Third Version.
FAQ: The Ghost
If Kim Ma Nok is not a direct ancestor of the Ghost, then who is?
My suspicion is Assemblyman Kim Han Seok of the Democratic Union Party that the Ghost saved from a bribery scandal.
This was in episode 2.
- The date was 2021-10-06.
- The Ghost was eating a lot of cakes.
- She checked her phone and saw a news article from 2022-06-19 11:50.
- She became worried briefly but went back to enjoying her cakes.
- She jumped forward in time to 2022-06-18 23:00 and stole the briefcase with the bribe money.
- She went back to 2021-10-07 and checked-in at an expensive hotel.
- She also bought a new phone which alarmed with a message: You have a scheduled task to do in ten hours (episode 3 train chase which will happen in the evening).
Remember Guidelines #2.b and #3 ? An experienced writer will not include a scene which serves no purpose in the story; and everything shown is canon. This short subplot is a good example.
Kim Han Seok and Kim Ma Nok sharing the same family name is a coincidence. Kim is the number one most common surname in South Korea. If they are long-lost brothers, it is Kim Ma Nok’s fate to be given the name Kim. (And may be a clue hidden by the writer.)
What is the origin year of the Ghost?
This was not revealed. However, if the Ghost is the same age as the actress, then she came from 2131.
Are there more than one Ghost?
There is only one Ghost, great granddaughter of Jung Sae Byeok and granddaughter of Byeori.
The label Ghost was coined by the Administration Bureau, in particular by Director Choi’s Secretariat department. It only refers to the Ghost played by actress, Lee Si Young.
If all time travelers are ghosts, then the answer is yes, but not the Ghost.
Maybe there is a Ghost from another timeline or parallel universe?
This is only possible if the show did not establish that it is based on the Static Theory of Spacetime.
Since the show established that
time does not flow and later gave more clues that the show is specifically based on the Growing Block Universe Theory, it is not possible for alternate timelines and parallel universes to exist. There can only be one timeline and one universe.
To borrow from Highlander:
There Can Be Only One!
Why did the Ghost appear in various labs around the world?
More likely for computing power.
Since the Grid was installed in 1997, there was still not enough computing power to handle the Grid code and its compilation. Installing the Grid later than 1997 would not give Earth a chance to deploy it properly. Installing it earlier would mean an even more primitive system.
If one laboratory already had the computing power needed to run the entire Grid software, then there is no need to install it in various laborities. In the end, in 2005, the Grid system was located in one place. This was why sometime in the latter half of 2022, only the AB and IRR buildings were attacked to bring down the entire Grid network.
This is a very good example of why a decentralised, distributed, federated, and open network is better than a centralised and closed network (or monopoly). The only way to bring down a DDFON-based system is by exploding an EMP on the entire world.
Why was the Ghost’s DNA better and even thanked Sae Ha?
The most probable is Sae Ha probably gave the Ghost a medicine to her DNA problem (the knowledge came from the 1997 No Grid Reality).
This question was asked by @Zainaaa08 on MyDramaList.
The Blue Time Traveler
FAQ: The Blue Time Traveler
Who is the Blue Time Traveler?
Good question! Unfortunately there is no way to know who is the Blue Time Traveler. However, there are two of them!
Friendly Blue Time Traveler
- He was the one who bumped into Ma Nok to remove the tracker.
- He was the one who saved Sae Ha.
- His time device is slimmer and pointed.
Foe Blue Time Traveler
- He was the one who attacked the Ghost.
- His time device is wider and rounded
Maybe they are twins or clones or one is an earlier version of the other. Regardless, what matters at this point is the Foe Blue Time Traveler is not the same as the Friendly Blue Time Traveler.
As the Friendly Blue Time Traveler said in English,
It’s not me. Can’t you see it? while he was pointing with his eyes to look at his time device (he was also aware someone who looked exactly like him fought her). Upon realising this, the Ghost let him do what he was about to.
At a glance: Administration Bureau
- Formed after the 1997-05-18 Institute of Radio Research (IRR) incident.
- Composed of two departments:
- The Grid Control Team. Led by Director Jo Heung Shik
- The Secretariat. Led by Director Choi Seon Wool since formation.
- Destroyed sometime in the latter half of 2022 (possibly in October).
FAQ: Administration Bureau
What does the Administration Bureau want with the Ghost?
The Administration Bureau wants to steal the time travel technology used by the Ghost since it is far advanced than the one they are developing.
They believe in helping mankind as well as to propel South Korea to be leaps ahead of everyone.
This question was asked by @LydiaDaniel on MyDramaList.
At a glance
- Song Eo Jin
- 1997: 9 years old.
- 2021: 33 years old.
- Jung Sae Byeok
- 2005-06: Was on her Physical Education class on the school field when the solar wind hit.
- In the 1997 No Grid Reality, she became a librarian. Her face and vocal cords were damaged.
- 2021 story: started on 2021-10-05 and ended on 2021-10-10
How come Eo Jin said it was Sae Byeok who told him the name of her daughter?
Two possible answers.
Future Sae Byeok traveled back in time and talked to 2022 Eo Jin to pick up the 2022 Sae Byeok.
Future Sae Byeok talked to Future Eo Jin to travel back in time to pick up the 2022 Sae Byeok.
In both instances, Future Sae Byeok probably revealed to him that her daughter is his and her name is Byeori. This convinced him since a newly born is in danger, his daughter at that.
This question was asked by @Eliza M on MyDramaList.
In the end, the Grid was still destroyed.
The Grid that was destroyed is in 2022, not the 1997 Grid.
In episode 10, the IRR and the AB buildings were destroyed by an attack from outer space. The AB did not exist yet in 1997.
In addition, if they did destroy the 1997 Grid, the faction which destroyed it would not benefit from the 1997 No Grid Reality.
What do you mean by ‘faction’ and ‘would not benefit’?
In episode 10, it was revealed that there is a group or faction watching over the events and the time travelers. The scene where a man and his assistant were talking is one such faction. (They seem to be in outer space.)
It is not possible to determine if they are for or against the Grid. Regardless, the message of that scene was to reveal there are groups who are changing events, either for the benefit of the people or for the benefit of their own pockets. In other words, whoever destroyed the Grid in 2022, they need the 1997 Grid to exist. Consider the following:
In the 1997 No Grid Reality, the number one R&D and pharmaceutical company in the world was owned by Sae Ha’s parents. Which in turn means South Korea is the leading nation on Earth. Whoever destroyed the Grid in 2022, it is to their benefit that the 1997 Grid exists where Sae Ha’s family did not build an R&D empire.
In the MIW Reality, South Korea forced the other labs to keep their mouths shut about South Korea’s claim that Sae Ha’s father was the brain behind the Grid. They showed the other nations and labs the footage of two time travelers who killed a janitor, making them believe that South Korea have time travel capabilities.
World superpowers no doubt loathed South Korea because of it and triggered a race to develop time travel. In Star Trek terms, there is a temporal [cold] war.
Who were the two men guarding the body of the Ghost in a white room?
The man who appears to be the subordinate could be the Friendly Blue Time Traveler or the Foe Blue Time Traveler since it was played by the same actor. It is also possible it is a different character altogether, the actor probably played three characters.
He made this report to who appears to be his superior,
The Grid is all gone. From all the times and layers.
His superior replied in English,
You never know. Which he followed up with, in Korean,
No one knows. Is there really an end?
Like his subordinate, this man is also an unknown. In the room with them is what appears to be the [dead] body of the Ghost.
If there is no Grid in the Ghost’s time, should she not exist at all?
Correct. However, the Grid that was destroyed was in late 2022 not the 1997 Grid.
As long as the 1997 Grid exists, and Sae Ha died at the hands of Ma Nok on 2021-10, the Ghost’s mother and herself will be born. What happens after that, like the destruction of the Grid in 2022, is of no consequence to her existence.
It could very well be the reason why she decided to become a time traveler … to find a way to stop the destruction of the Grid in 2022 or to setup backups those who are against it are not aware of. However, before she can concentrate on her main objective, she had to make sure she exists because Sae Ha was trying to change two fixed points in time. All of them, including those who are against the existence of the Grid (from 2022 onwards), would not exist if Sae Ha will have his way.
This is why the Ghost told Sae Ha, “Don’t try to change anything”, and “You’re the one ruining everything. Stay out of this.”
This question was asked by @LydiaDaniel on MyDramaList.
If in the 1997 No Grid Reality the Ghost was never born, how did the Grid exist?
The first Grid Founder, whoever that person was.
Even without the Grid there is always a possibility that time travel technology will be developed in the far future. They would no doubt be very eager to unlock the secrets of time travel especially when two-thirds of the global population were wiped out and the remaining are suffering from degenerative diseases.
Temporal Mechanics #4 stated that a time period is replaced whenever a time traveler enters that time. The earlier version no longer exist, and even if one stops the time traveler from traveling, the original version of time will never return. It will only be replaced by yet another version.
This was explained in
Who is the father of Byeori?
The clue in episode 10 points to Song Eo Jin.
Is Byeori the mother of the Ghost?
Maybe, maybe not. Since the Ghost said she was born in 2091, Byeori would be 69 years old by then.
However, the Grid was destroyed sometime the latter half of 2022. Between 2022 and 2091, Earth was hit by another solar wind (as confirmed by the 1997 Ghost). The traditional way of having babies is probably not advisable due to the radiation, and the damage in their DNAs.
Because of it In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) is probably very common to ensure babies will develop without the risk of radiation exposure. Or, through surrogacy from healthy mothers living inside protected domes. This would make it possible for anyone to have a healthy baby regardless of age.
That considered, Byeori may be the Ghost’s mother after all. Especially after the scene wherein the Ghost carried Byeori on her arms. (Daughter taking care of her baby mother? Yeah, time travel! That is lovely and sweet too.)
What did they mean by ’layers’ in episode 10?
A very good question! This one requires a lengthy explanation.
In the Block Universe and Growing Block Universe theories a reality or the universe is viewed as one giant block (or cube if you will).
- Think of a cube. That cube is the entirety of reality or the universe.
- Add dots from Point A to Point B horizontally until it is filled.
- Looking at it, there are now lines of dots horizontally (Y axis), vertically (Z axis), and across (X axis).
- The X axis is the length of the cube. In space dimension, it means moving forward and backward in space, like riding a car.
- The Y axis is the width. In spatial dimension, it means moving left and right, as one wold sidestep to the left or right.
- The Z axis is the height. In spatial dimension, it means moving up and down, like when flying or riding an elevator.
If this is applied in the time dimension, what does it mean?
- The X axis, or length, in time dimension means moving forward or backward in time. To put it another way: traveling to one’s relative future or past.
- The Y axis, or width, means moving left and right in time. In the many-worlds interpretation of spacetime, this is moving to alternate timelines or parallel universes. In the Static Theory of Spacetime, unfortunately I can not think of an analogy (if you can, do share in the comments below).
- The Z axis, or height, is moving up and down in time. Let’s discuss this further.
The Z axis, or height, or moving up and down, is what I call “planes of existence”. This is what the layers in
Grid (그리드) was referring to. It can be best described as what we see glimpses of.
In the space/spatial dimension it can be explained in this way:
- You and me, we exist in our own layer or plane of existence.
- Paradise exist on a layer on top of our own.
- Damnation exist on a layer below our own.
Stories about seeing ghosts, souls, monsters, and other fantastical creatures, are glimpses of another layer or plane of existence. They are moving around us but we normally do not see them just as they should not normally see us. (Although in most fiction, they do see us.)
How this is applied in the time dimension, as the
Grid (그리드) used it, and within the context of the Static Theory of Spacetime, is beyond me. Simply put, there is a layer of time on top of and below of another layer.
When the assistant said,
The Grid is all gone. From all the times and layers, it means the Grid was destroyed in 2022 in all possible times, in all possible layers or planes of existence. Another way of saying it is, “the Grid was destroyed in 2022 in all of spacetime.”
Maybe the way
Grid (그리드) used it is as a reference to the different realities. If this is the case, then this particular faction found a way to access realities which should no longer exist.
This question was asked by @Bai Ying Hua on MyDramaList.
They measured Sae Ha and the result was 106 something, what is it?
It is microtesla (µT). A microtesla is an SI unit of magnetic flux density equal to 10-6 teslas. 1
Okay, I do not know what it means either.
Basically, microtesla is a unit of measurement used for magnetic fields.
Grid (그리드) was correct that a human being should only have a very low—0.3 or less—microtesla reading. Humans who live near high-tension power poles usually have a reading between of 0.4 µT. 2
If one is very near, or under power lines, magnetic fields is around 20 µT. 3
For a human being to produce over 100 µT meant they were exposed to extremely powerful magnetic fields, which in the show’s case, time travel technology (and that level is not healthy). Here are the confirmed readings of time travelers:
- The Ghost: 408 µT
- The Friendly Blue Time Traveler: 230 µT before Sae Ha’s death; 237 µT after Sae Ha’s death
- Sae Ha: 106 µT
Why did 2021 Sae Ha said the walk signal is blue light?
It is a Korean cultural tradition wherein adults tell kids walk signal is blue.
The National Institute of Korea Language also explained,
The reason why the green light of the traffic lights is not called the green light but the blue light seems to be because the people perceive the blue light as a relative color concept to the red light. 1
This answer was provided by @27Aprile on MyDramaList.
Time travel cadets, as for your assignment be sure to share this article in your social media accounts and online groups. Or, support my efforts by sending a gift .
If you have additional questions or not-so-violent reactions, you can also leave a comment below.
Thank you for listening (or reading in this case).